Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 20, 2009

* Big changes ahead *

After many long discussions and lots and lots of prayers, Brett and I have decided that it would be in Summer and my family's best interest for me to stay home with her for the time being. Since I have been out on maternity leave my life has changed directions in a big way. Not only am I a mother to my little girl, I am now more involved in taking care of my grandparents.

My mom and sister moved in with my grandparents back in August of 2008 because my grandfather felt that he could no longer take care of himself or my grandmother alone anymore. My grandmother has had Alzheimer's for several years now, and recently we have seen a dramatic change in her. She no longer knows where she is and is quickly forgetting who we are. She also has Macular Degeneration and is almost completely blind now. She needs help with everything she does. My grandfather has had Emphysema and heart disease for several years also, and was put on oxygen full time last year. He has a hard time moving around and doing daily activities - so between my mother, sister and I we have all pitched in to help.

My mother is the powerhouse of it all and has sacrificed most of what she loves to see that they are well taken care of. It has been a challenge for all of us, but we are family and we will always be there for each other.

Since I am free during the weekdays, I have started going over to their house to help them with whatever they need done for the day. I do their laundry, wash dishes, pick up around the house, and do my Nanny's hair and makeup 3 times a week so that they can go to Cardiac Rehab. While they are gone to rehab I run to the grocery store if needed and pick my sister up from school. This has helped my mother from having so much to do in the evenings once she gets home from work, and has allowed her to start doing the things she enjoys a little more.

Staying home is a plus for me, because now I am able to spend more time with my family , and most of all watch my Summer girl as she is growing up so fast :)

Summer passed out asleep in the car after playing hard with all of her toys :


Summer has started teething recently, so now everything that she grabs goes straight into her mouth!!

My happy girl :)


No comments:

Post a Comment